Before the County Council took over the village nursing services, they were provided by the Harwell and Chilton Nursing Association. A bungalow was built with village subscriptions next to the coal yard in Harwell in 1926; this is still known by many as the Nurses' Bungalow. The County purchased the bungalow in 1952 and with its two-thirds share of the proceeds Harwell purchased tables for the Village Hall and an invalid chair. The residue of £315 was invested and the interest from it was given to the last remaining nurse of the Association, Nurse Defries. Nurse Defries lived until 1983 after which the cash was used to purchase additional tables for use in the village.