Harwell is a village in southern Oxfordshire. The A417 runs east-west and most of the village lies north of that road.
The Map Reference of the War Memorial, which is roughly in the centre of the village, is SU 491 892. The village is 260 feet above sea-level, although the sea is over 50 miles away.
The village is about 60 miles north of the Isle of Wight, 60 miles west of London, 60 miles east of Bristol, and 60 miles south of Coventry.
Historically it has always been a Berkshire village, but since 1974 it has been part of Oxfordshire, and is in the east of the Vale of White Horse. It is roughly half way between Oxford (north) and Newbury (south), and between Reading (east) and Swindon (west), and at the northern edge of the Wessex Downs Area of Natural Beauty
Harwell is close to the North South trunk road, the A34, and a few miles from Didcot (shops), and the railway at Didcot Parkway station for trains to London Paddington, the west country, and the north via Oxford and Birmingham..
The boundaries of the Parish reach beyond the village, from the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in the south, to the Milton Trading Estate in the north.
|(thanks to Wikipedia for some of these facts, and the map)|
|District||Vale of White Horse|
|District Council Ward||Harwell|
|County division||Sutton Courtenay and Harwell|
|Parliamentary constituency||Wantage County|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|Fire Service||Didcot Fire Station|
|Primary Care Trust||Oxfordshire|
|Bus Region (Stagecoach)||West Midlands|
|Map Reference||SU 491 892|
|No of houses||about 1000|
|Total / Male / Female||2354 / 1132 / 1222|
|Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty||Part of the Parish, south of the A417, is in the North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. For a map, see North Wessex Downs AONB website.|
This map comes from the Harwell Parish Plan (2003)