For a news item, you will need
- A title
- A subtitle – a sentence or two which will appear under the title on the front page of the website in the summary of news items.
- The content of the news items, which ideally should include
- The actual words to use
- Clarity about which images/PDF’s should be included in the text, and which should be available via links in the text.
- The source – a statement making it clear where the information has come from, unless from the PC itself
- An expiry date, for when the item should stop being a current news item and move into the news archives (default is three weeks)
- A featured image, which will appear on the front page of the website beside the headlines
Suggest you keep a folder on your laptop, maybe on the desktop, to contain all the images and attachments. This will make it easier when you come to upload them to the website. Will refer to this as <local folder>.
Decide if Word documents should be turned to PDF.
For PDF you might want to do a screenshot of all or part of the first page which can be saved as an image to embed in the post, and linked to the PDF. Easiest of the JPG and the PDF have the same name.
The featured image should be square, so you may want to crop one of the relevant images.
Prepare all material in <local folder>
Login to the admin section of the website.
Media > Add new: Drag items from <local folder> onto designated upload area. (alternatively you can do this one by one while editing the post.)